Okay, I admit it. I made a tactical error. A week ago, I had a chance to do my final interview over the weekend. However, the weather was bad, and I wanted to do it outside, so I chose to wait until this past weekend.
Big mistake. The interviewee ended up being sick all weekend.
And so it was that I did my final interview on Monday at 9 PM, with the assignment due within two days.
When I came to school on Tuesday, I was confident I could have my project finished by 8 PM.
Big mistake. I was serving as editor for our news show on that day, and due to a number of delays, the show was finished at 6, took 3 hours to render and then 2 to upload to vimeo. Of course, this consumed my disk drive, meaning I couldn’t use it for anything else.
And so it was that at 11 PM on December 6 I started editing an assignment due 15 hours later.
You could say I learned my lesson. I generally try to finish my assignments as early as I can so that I can spent a lot of time perfecting it. Not this time.
Anyway, my assignment is on the health effects allegedly caused by industrial wind turbines. I wish I had picked something a bit easier that I could have been really creative with. Due to the sensitive and controversial nature of the topic, I was very careful and tried to be as balanced as possible.
One of my interviews was with Dr. Robert McMurtry, a member of the Order of Canada, a former Dean of Medicine at UWO and a very respected individual. Of course, I somehow forgot my tripod for the interview, and made myself look like a complete idiot. I was able to rig up an impromptu tripod, but the experience was embarrassing.
I did learn from it: I remembered my tripod for my next interview with Gary Zavitz, co-founder of Friends of Wind. But I did forget my microphone.
Yep, I think I need to start carrying a checklist.
It didn’t turn out too bad though, because I did have a handheld microphone, which was able to pick up his voice and not much of the background.
The benefit of the project was that I got to film some really interesting B-roll and be creative with my shots. I got to include one of my all-time favourites: the driving shot, where I set up a camera on a tripod and put in the passenger seat in my car, then drive with it. I’ve previously had some great successes with that one.
Still, I think the end product turned out pretty well considering the problems I had.